Along with proper brushing and nutrition, it's also important that your child visit a dentist at least once a year. These checkups are often short, with the dentist taking a look at the development of your child's teeth.
Tips for making dental visits go smoothly:
- Schedule your baby's first dental appointment at age 1, or when the first tooth comes in.
- Book appointments early in the day when your child is fully awake and less likely to be irritated.
- Bring along medical records.
- Ask about fluoride supplements if the water supply in your town isn't fluoridated or if your family uses purified water.
- Keep dental visits a positive experience by talking to your child about the visit beforehand and doing a fun activity together afterward. Also remember to keep a smile on your face so your child doesn't
sense any reason to worry.