Kids need to eat a balanced diet for their teeth to develop properly and their gums to stay healthy.
Best Habits for Healthy Teeth
- Offer milk to your child every day - whole milk from age 1 to 2, and reduced-fat milk after age 2.
- Don't let your child suck on a bottle or sippy cup filled with milk, formula, or juice at bedtime.
- Encourage toddlers and preschoolers to eat crunchy vegetables like green beans and cauliflower as these help remove plaque from your child's teeth.
- Avoid sugary snacks, candy, soda, and juice - they are all causes of cavities.
- Limit the sharing of spoons and bottles between caregivers and children, and among children themselves.