Reading touches upon every area of our lives. It
helps us do well in school and later succeed at our jobs. Reading's
also a great way to keep learning and growing long after you finish
school! Instilling a love of reading in your child is one of the
best gifts you can give them.
- Be a reading role model. Let your child see you reading often
- Show your child that reading can be fun by planning a family
book night where you read jokes and riddles.
- Fill a toy bin or bottom of a bookshelf with kid-friendly books
and coloring pages to make them easy for your child to find.
- If you have more than one child, ask the older kids to read to
the younger ones. The older children will be proud to show off
their skills while the younger ones will want to read just like
their older brothers or sisters.
- Limit the amount of TV the whole family watches. The American
Academy of Pediatrics recommends no more than one to two hours a
day of quality TV programming for kids older than age 2 - and no TV
watching for kids under 2. Spend those extra hours reading together
as a family!