There are lots of fun and simple activities you can do with your child to help develop gross motor skills.
- Playing active games together, such as jumping rope, hopscotch, tag, and hide-and-seek.
- Helping your child go down slides, climb ladders, or pump legs on the swing at a playground.
- Teaching your child to toss, catch, and kick using balls of different sizes.
- Helping your toddler build a fort by draping a blanket over a couple of chairs, or stacking empty cardboard boxes (using larger ones for tunnels!)
- Making an age-appropriate obstacle course. With toddlers, lay pillows, cushions, and blankets in small stacks on the floor and encourage them to crawl over the “hills.” For preschoolers, lay a hula hoop on the ground for them to jump into, or make a ball toss with an empty basket or box.